Monday, June 1, 2009

Fun...Friendship...Pound Cake

Actually, the word "fun" seems a bit inadequite to describe the time I had with Kellie these last few days. It was a really sweet time and I am so thankful that her family and NC friends let me borrow her for a few days!!

And it really made me so thankful for good friendship in general. Something came up this weekend where her very presence in my house was a positive example to my daughter of how true friendships can continue to grow and and bless even with geographical distance. God is good!

And after jealously guarding the pound cake recipe for years, I am posting it. Things this delectable are really meant to be shared!!

Note: Before baking, first go for a nice long run or do some crunches. Then you won't feel guilty in a couple hours when you are enjoying this yummy cake!!

Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees.

3 sticks of butter melted (don't think about it, just do it!)
3 cups of sugar (same as above)
6 eggs (ditto the above)
3 cups of flour
1 cup milk (I use 2 % 'cause that is what we drink around here)
1 tbsp vanilla
1/2 tsp coconut or almond extract (I always use the almond)
approx. 1 cup flake coconut

Cream butter and add sugar. Cream well!! Add eggs one at a time, beating well. (yes it takes more time, but you still need to do it) Add flavorings. Add flour and milk alternately 1/3 cup at a time. Stir in coconut. Bake in 10 in. bundt pan that has been greased and floured for approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes. Sprinkle with powdered sugar if you want it but honestly, I usually eat it plain.

Enjoy the cake and enjoy your day!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I clicked over and assumed I would see you Mashed Potato recipe! What a surprise to see the Pound Cake!!!!

I cherish our friendship so very much.

Love you!

meh said...

I thought I already told you that one...sour cream, half a stick of butter, some garlic thrown in with some salt and pepper. Yum!

I know you do, dear friend. After all, you spread mayo on my sandwich bread. It was truly a touching act of service on your part and I appreciated it!! (:

You won't believe what the deer did to the garden last night. No more petunia petals or rose blossoms. They were be-headed!! I need more sweaty socks to put out there!!

Anonymous said...

I love it when new friends share recipes....especially pound cake recipes. I love pound cake recipes and I've never tried a coconut one. I'm going to see if I have all the ingredients and if so, I'm baking it this week. It's so nice to "meet" you. Thanks for sharing your recipe AND your friend Kellie with the rest of us. ;)

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Any friend of Kellie's is a friend of mine. Especially one who shares her previously-guarded-drool-inducing-coconut pound cake recipe.

Sounds delicious.

And it sounds like you two had a terrific time.