Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Excessive Celebration Penalty

My 9th grade son's basketball team played last night. The excessive celebration penalty wasn't given to a player on the team but to a fan...specifically, me. And it wasn't from the refs...from my husband.

Here is my defense:

They have yet to win a game and M has yet to score in a regulation game his whole highschool career (4 games so far). But last night, with 2 minutes left and 10 points behind, M. went in and lit a fire against the other teams starters. He caused a couple turnovers, he didn't make any himself, and he nailed the prettiest little 3 pointer. It was at this point that I had the "excessive celebration" apparently. But, for heavens sake, M. and the other "mop ups" narrowed the game to 4 points! It seemed entirely appropriate for me to whistle (and I whistle fairly loudly) and yell some encouragements. I didn't exactly dance in the stands or high five all the other parents around me!

Besides, I am his mom! Who better to "excessively celebrate", if that is actually what it is!!

So D3 plays tonight on varsity. I have already informed my husband that were D3 to do something remarkable (or even vaguely positive) out on the floor, I cannot promise to quietly and genteely pat my hands together. I will try. I just don't know if I have that kind of discipline!!

Note: Neither of the boys have ever voiced any complaint of my alleged "excessive celebration" in the past and insist that they don't even hear me. While that raises the question of what good my whistling actually does for them, at least I am not embarrassing them!

So...is anyone with me on this?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm TOTALLY backing you up on this one. You have every right to Excessively Celebrate.

Way to go M!