Thursday, January 29, 2009

When I grow up...

...I want to be a 5th grade Sunday school teacher!

The perks are incredible. You are recognized wherever you go. The children hang on your every word and their lives are forever changed in that one hour each week! It is simply the ideal job!!

Yah...right!!

Even though I sometimes feel like I am talking to the air while my 5th grade pre-teens catch up on their beauty sleep, I can't help but be amazed at their occasional flashes of brilliance and deep-yet-simple insights. They end up teaching me.

One Sunday morning we talked about love. I came away from class with a fresh desire to love others like God wants me to love. This desire was sparked in my heart by God and His Word, but fanned into a nice little flame by the young minds who discussed it with me on their 5th grade level.

Our church just did a special offering called "not to us" that is earmarked for several Chinese orphans, Brazil medical supplies, and a special gift to all our missionaries. These kids made a goal to bring their own money to put in their own glass jar for this offering, and they were serious about it! They ended up giving a total of $38.27 to this wonderful cause!! It touches my heart to see their hearts and their hands so open to the things of God.

And I love how I get the title of teacher, but I am the one doing the learning!!

No comments: