Thursday, February 26, 2009

Love Never Fails

Love never fails. At least, that is what it says in I Corinthians 13 about half way through.

But I do.

Not so much with my immediate family, though I will not claim perfection because that would be a lie! And not with the strangers who bounce against me occasionally in rough ways on the city streets or in line at the grocery store. My love-failures, in general, are with fellow Christians.

Shocking?! Yep...but not really. I know very well that I am not alone in this. There is too much Scripture written about loving the body of Christ for this to not be an issue that many of us are forced to deal with, even daily.

What is shaking me up though is how intensely God is forcing me to face this issue in my life right now.

Each year as my "New Years Resolution" I study a fruit of the Spirit. And wouldn't you know that this year the only two I had left was love and kindness. Take a wild guess which one I felt led to focus on this year.

In addition, we are in a series at our church's women's Bible Study on the Letter's of John. You can probably guess what one of the most repeated words is in this series of letters.

And the frosting on the proverbial cake is that God has even provided me a first-hand and ongoing experience with someone who is a challenge for me to truly love as God has commanded me to love.

So I am in process. What I have learned this far is that it is way easier said then done. But more importantly, it is only through His divine power that I am going to be able to do this in a healthy, God-glorifying way. (II Peter 1:3,4)

No comments: