Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Assumptive Thinking

Our church is doing The Truth Project dvd's in many of our small groups. It has proven to be an eye-opener for alot of the adults as to what exactly a Biblical World View is. But what about our kids? In typical Focus on the Family fashion, they have come up with a whole series of Odyssey cd's just for the kids called The Truth Chronicles.

As a disclaimer, we are more of a tv family. We just don't do alot of story tapes, cd's, books on tape, etc. But someone loaned me the CD's so I thought I would try it out. My kids are in public school...they need all the extra Biblical World View they can get!!

A couple of weeks ago, I listened to the first 15 minute with J on the way to gymnastics. The story line came to a good stopping place just as we pulled in the parking lot. As we walked into the gym, I asked her what we had just heard about the definition of "truth". And she promptly replied something along the lines of, "truth is based on God's reality not on what the world would say is reality." And then she skipped off to practice her splits.

Needless to say, I was excited! It wasn't verbatim what the cd had said, which made it even better. She was absorbing it and making it her own!

So Jenna and I listened to some more Truth Chronicles on the way to and from small group on Saturday night. (It was just the two of us, for a variety of reasons that are random and hard to articulate so I will spare you the details.)

Again, she was completely engaged in the story, and was sad to hop out of the car and into bed.

When I started the car on Sunday, the Chronicles automatically started where we left off. All four of the kids willingly listened (even though it was the middle of the story) and when we pulled in the parking lot they let out a big groan as I turned off the car. They were right at an interesting part. (I am not kidding, even my teenage boys!!)

That in and of itself is enough to make me want to highly recommend this series from Focus on the Family. But it gets better.

Last night, while watching a new cop show after the kids were all asleep, one of the actors said "everything evolves" in the midst of a casual conversation. Immediately, my truth antennae flew up and I said to D, "Assumptive Speech!"

The Chronicles are impacting me as a highly educated and discerning adult! I'm not too proud to say, "Yep, I learned that from an Odyssey CD."

No comments: